Thursday, May 02, 2002

The war of the clocks

I've noticed that on Monday this week someone reset the clock on our microwave to military time. Early Tuesday when I came in, it was reset to regular time.

It's been switching back and forth all week. I can't figure out, why in the 10 months I've been here, it's never mattered before. And why, it's suddenly started mattering now. I also don't know who the two parties are that keep changing the clock, I've never actually seen anybody doing it. But when I heated up my lunch today it was on standard time, and just now I walked past and it was on military time.Maybe it's all some crazy practical joke meant to drive me mad. Maybe it's some petty argument between two of the guys, although I didn't realize guys could be this passive/agressive.

At my last job there was the coffee war, complete with signs and nasty emails, and fun-filled office gossip about the perpetrators. Some people wanted the coffee made with one package of instant coffee, while others preferred two. That went on for months, until whoever was making the strong stuff brillantly decided to put a sign on the coffee pot after they made it saying "Two Packet Coffee". And peace prevailed. Eventually, we got one of those kickass little machines that let you make your own single cup of flavored coffee, so it didn't matter anymore. I'm not a huge coffee fan (ok barely at all) but once in a while I get a craving and I sure do miss that little machine.

I guess every office has it's quirks and this is the newest one for us, although I still can't quite figure out why it matters so much which format the time is in.

No comments: