Friday, May 31, 2002

Not to be stereotypical, but...

I went to the gym last night and there was this guy...wait...backstory first.

Ok, I went to the gym last week and hopped on a stairmaster at the back of the room. This is good and bad. Being in the back of the room lets you watch what everyone else is doing (which can be fun, like watching people at the mall) but it also means I'm the farthest from the little TVs in the front of the room.

So I'm working away, looking around at people when I notice this guy come in. He was, and I hate to use the words, your typical guido. Sorry, I don't know how to say it any other way. He was swarthy, wearing a wife-beater, had two gold chains on and a gold watch - to the gym, let me remind you. He came into the room and plopped himself down on an exercycle directly behind a young sorority girl working out on one of the ellipitcal trainers. Well, as luck would have it she had just finished her workout. Two seconds after he sat down she got off the machine, wiped it off and left.

About 30 seconds after she left the room...guido-man got up and left. Never once having started the machine or pedaled a bit. She was the only non-overweight girl in the room so I guess the remaining view wasn't good enough for him.

So back to my story of last night...

I'm back on the stairmaster and lo and behold! who walks in but my favorite guy. He's wearing a real t-shirt this time but has extra jewlery on and is...talking on a cell phone. Or at least listening on a cell phone. He never actually spoke that I recall. Maybe he had important messages to check. In any case he surveys the room and takes a seat on his exercycle. He sits down side-saddle if you will and continues to hold the phone tightly to his ear. He sits there for 15 minutes, not peddling, not talking, just looking. Then he gets up and leaves.

I see him 20 minutes later as I start to do some weight work. He's walking around, sans cell phone with a towel around his neck. I've never actually seen this guy do anything.

People are weird.

No comments: