Tuesday, October 08, 2002

Baby Baby Baby

So...details about the shower...

It was a lot more fun than when I was 8. Yummy, noshy food, little roll sandwiches, brownies, fruit, veggies and dip...all that good stuff. We played some fun games, which seemed to be variations of the games we played at my bridal shower.

The clothespin game - you're not allowed to cross your legs or someone else gets your clothespin. The one with the most clothespins at the end of the party gets a door prize. The variation for the baby shower was you weren't allowed to say 'baby'. Imagine if you will how hard that was.

The crepe streamer game - the bridal shower version involves making a dress out of crepe paper. Baby shower version was cut off a length of streamer that you thought would measure most accurately around mom-to-be's middle. In other words How big is she?

We all got to ooh and ahhh over the cute little things she got. Some toys which I would've wanted to play with!

The thing that amazed me most was the certainty with which some of the guests declared their knowledge of the baby's sex. The couple's decided to leave it as a surprise, which meant most gifts were yellow or green, with an occasional aqua. One woman sitting nearby me though said several times "I KNOW she's having a boy. I'd be so surprised if it wasn't a boy."

Given that there's a 50/50 chance, why the certainty? Another woman said, "She looks like she's having a boy." HUH? She just looked pregnant to me. Maybe the family's just really really hoping for a boy. Or maybe there's some piece of motherly wisdom that they knew and I didn't.

In any case it was a lovely evening and boy or girl, I hope everything turns out healthy and happy for the new family.

No comments: