Tuesday, September 03, 2002

Only I didn't say fudge

How close have you ever come to cursing in front of your parents? How about grandparents? Have you ever gotten halfway through the word, realized what was coming out of your mouth and tried to change mid-stream?

I came real close this weekend. I was driving with my grandmother and sister in the car and other people were not letting me off of the ramp onto the highway. One word started coming out until I realized it was not an "appropriate" word and it got changed into another.

I'm not sure what would've happened actually. Aside from shock and dismay that the sweet little child in a frilly dress that I used be just uttered THAT word. It's not like she could've grounded me or anything. I wonder why it is we feel the need to restrain ourselves in front of our folks that way. Surely they've heard the words many more times than we have. Maybe it's consideration for the fact that they held themselves in for us, when we were too young to hear those types of things.

Anyway, thanks for saying sugar, shoot, phooey, fudge, darn, and dang. I know what you really meant now.

No comments: