Wednesday, September 11, 2002

How old are you?

Sometimes I like messing with people's minds. Having them try and figure out just how old I am.

Last night for example. I'd left the gym and headed over to Blockbuster. As I was walking out of the store this woman read my shirt (I had on a SMC Swimming shirt)
and said "RMSC, both my kids swam there!"

The following conversation occurred:

Me: No SMC
Her: What's that?
Me: St. Mary's College...
Her: Oh, then you MUST know Jenny Cheng
Me: Noooo...
Her: *A look like I'm lying* You must know her IF you swim (notice present tense) there. She just graduated in May.
Me: Oh I graduated 5 years ago, this is an old shirt (ok I lied to her, but 4 is close enough to 5 and it just sounded better to have it be a nice round number)
Her: OH! *Another look like I'm lying*

End of conversation. I'd never heard the name before and it's also entirely possible this woman was thinking of Mount St. Mary's College in Western Maryland. We get this a lot. We also get a lot of "OH that's a Catholic school right?" Right. Because a school in St. Mary's City, on the St. Mary's River, in St. Mary's County couldn't POSSIBLY be named St. Mary's College of Maryland without being Catholic. My favorite comeback to this was by a friend who was completely wasted at the time, lying on the floor and slurring "Does this look like proper Catholic school behavior?"

But the best part of the whole thing was her looking like I couldn't possibly have graduated from college that long ago. Sometimes I get a huge kick out of that. Like when I won a bear at King's Dominion at one of those guess your age stands. They have to come within 2 years either way. He guessed 16. I was 21 at the time.

It used to really bug me when I was younger. My grandmother liked to play this game when we were at the grocery store. She'd talk to the clerk and say "How old do you think she is?" They were always wrong, on the young side of course.

Or the woman I ran into at a Young Life banquet this spring. Who stopped me in the restroom and wanted to know what I thought of the Young Life program at my highschool. I (kindly) explained that I'd been out of highschool for quite some time and I was there to make a donation, not as a participant of the program.

I had to stop typing in the middle of this because I had urgent stuff come up at work and I've completely forgot where I was going with the thread.

Oh well.

No comments: