Monday, September 29, 2003

Oblivious middle-aged woman night

Ever noticed that there is a certain type of person in the grocery store, depending on what time you shop?

Late at night - usually young people (late teens, early 20's), Sunday mornings - whole families, weekdays at 5 - career types picking up dinner.

Well, Sunday evenings at my grocery store at least, appear to be for oblivious, self-absorbed 40 somethings. I walked down aisles trying to pick up a few little things (I just want a box of couscous and a couple of limes!) and everywhere I went I bumped into women meandering. Pushing their carts down the middle of the aisles, weaving side to side as they think of things they need. I got barricaded in the bakery because one woman had turned her cart sideways blocking one aisle, and as I turned around to go the other way around the table full of sourdough a woman came up with her cart and turned it sideways blocking the other direction! I had to turn completely around and go back through the cheese.

Maybe some of the free samples they were giving out last night were drugged. Because I have never seen so many people behaving the exact same way, who were approximately the same age, at the exact same time in the grocery store.

No comments: