Friday, January 03, 2003

Writer's block

I've been really stuck lately. A lot has been going on but I haven't had anything to say. It all seems exciting to me, but I haven't been able to package it in a way that I would find it interesting to read about if I were reading it on someone else's blog. So it's been pretty dry here lately and I apologize.

I got to catch up with my friend Pato (long story on the nickname, that doesn't even make sense to me anymore) and his wife, earlier this week. We all had a lovely time out a dinner, and Andy enjoyed showing off his new toys.

I also noticed Andy's picked up some interesting slang. He must have said "It's sick" about 10 times the other night, when describing his new dvd player, a particular movie, some function of the dvd player that was especially cool, etc. All this is blamed on The Sports Junkies who grew up around PG county, and now have their talk show on HFS in the mornings. They're on when Andy's alarm goes off in the morning and slowly work their way into his subconscious.

We both find the show entertaining even though I know nothing of sports, but these guys grew up where we grew up, two of them went to the high school we went to. And the majority of the show is them cutting each other down, or talking about their wife and kids, or this morning about the contents of their closets. Eventually they really do talk about sports, but I'm always still laughing from earlier segments that I don't notice they've slipped it in.

But back to the slang. They use words such as sick, silly (pronouced suhhhlly), money, it's a show, hurting, it's a lock, stupid, dude, zippy chance, and donkey. Repeatedly. With many variations I know I'm leaving out. And these are working their way into our vocabulary. In a few more months we'll both sound like an 80's sitcom re-run.

So if you're in the area you should really check them out, and if you run into me please pardon my hurting vocabulary. It's a show.

No comments: