Thursday, December 05, 2002

Ah...the smell of fresh puke in the morning

Andy had to be at Hopkins early this morning for a spinal tap. Although not as early as he was up for Black Friday at Best Buy. And to help, it snowed. We don't get much snow in Maryland, so when we do everyone seems to panic. Thankfully, Andy's mother came with us. Or I should say, drove us. I can't say how grateful I am for that. I HATE driving in the snow. And once we got there I had even more to be grateful to her for (aside from the company, and comfort of knowing we weren't alone there).

We got up to Baltimore right on time for Andy's appointment. We waited for a little while and Andy was called back. We had some stuff with us so I went back with him while Mom hung out up front. I had brought a backpack with books; Christmas cards to write; and a spare shirt, hat, and gloves in case we got caught in the snow somewhere.

Once Andy was settled in and his temperature had been taken, it looked like we'd be allowed to stay in the room while they did the procedure. I ran back out front and grabbed Mom, my bag, and back we went. The doctor came in after a little bit and got Andy situated on his side on the table, and asked Mom and me if either of us were the fainting/getting sick types. We assured him no and off we went.

When things got rolling I started feeling queasy. I still haven't figured out why. I'm not the type to get sick. It must have been the combination of the early morning, no breakfast, and big dose of nerves for Andy. Folks started noticing I was looking green and pulled the curtain partway around the bed. Not that I had seen anything in the first place. Except the size of the needle that is. Maybe that was what set me off. Mom rubbed my back until I felt better and everything was OK until the doctor hit something. Apparently a nerve from Andy's description afterwards.

That was the end of the water I had had a few minutes ago. Everything came up. On me. On Mom. Some made the trashcan. Most made my lap. I was very happy I had a spare shirt, and only slightly upset that my snow paranoia hadn't extended to a spare pair of pants. After that I stayed out of the room until everything was over. Andy made it through fine, and is busy reading his "So you've just had a Lumbar Puncture" booklet.

No comments: