Thursday, June 27, 2002

Lunchtime

I may have mentioned how frigidly cold it is in my office. If I haven't... it is cold! Don't get me wrong, I like having air-conditioning in the summer. But I don't like 3 air vents blowing frigid air on me all day long. The thing never cuts off. It's like there's on and off and no thermostat attached.

Anyway, to avoid this I decided to walk down to the grocery store and pick up some lunch and warm up outside. In the 90 degree weather. So as I was walking down the street, for some reason I was really reminded of Vermont. Maybe it was the walking to get lunch, or the sticky hot air, or something else completely intangible that only my miswired brain could pick out.

Vermont's a cool place. At least the parts I saw of it were. Which included Middlebury, Burlington, and the Ben and Jerry's factory. It's beautiful there in the summer. Everything's green and there's plenty of ice cream. It also smells like cows. The whole state smells of cows. I spent 7 weeks there and I still never got used to the smell of cows. It also got hot in the summer. Everyone I talked to before I went there for the summer said "Oh it'll be so beautiful and cool!"

Um... no. It got sticky hot same as any place else. What I did notice though is how fast the weather changed in August. It had already started to get that fall-ish cool feeling in the air before August 15th rolled around. And it had been like Florida just two weeks before.

So I'm rambling. I apparently had a nostalgic binge need for Vermont.

After I picked up lunch, which turned out not to be the salad I had gone after but Hot & Sour Soup with some Shrimp Toast from the Chinese place I passed on my way to the store....I turned around and headed back to my office.

First step in the doorway... AH!!! The blessing of air conditioning. Is anyone else hot?

No comments: