Monday, October 10, 2005

Ohhh for a nice, tall, cold one

Many things about pregnancy so far I've enjoyed. Some I haven't been thrilled about, but for the most part I've been very happy with the whole experience.

I haven't really been all that sick, although there were a FEW days.

I haven't gained a ton of weight, only 10 pounds so far at month 5, not too shabby huh?

I haven't had any bizarre cravings, although there are several foods that I simply cannot look at.

But the thing that I've really missed is having a drink.

Let me make it very clear, I'm not a drinker. In fact pre-pregnancy, I would have A beer about once every six months. Actually thinking about it, probably every 8 months. That's all. Not an every day thing. Heck! Not every an every week/month thing. Just the occasional indulgence.

Since I've been pregnant though, and the thought that I simply CANNOT have a drink has driven me up a wall.

Although to be perfectly honest I don't think it's about the taste, or the relaxing, or the sheer indulgence of it. I think it's due to the following:

1. Random strangers seem to feel completely justified in patting my belly.

2. Woman Type-A who has kids, has told me the exact same thing "Oh just you wait. EVERYTHING changes." But that's as far as they're willing to speak on the subject. Apparently this is some sort of secret society and I'll get a pamphlet as I'm leaving the hospital on how to master this skill.

3. Woman Type-B who has kids, has filled me in on the excruiating details of her labor. How long, how awful the contractions were, how long she was pushing, how she begged for the epidural, how they gave her the epidural but punctured a sac in her spine and she was bed-ridden for a week afterward, how the saddle block didn't work and she felt every inch of the c-section, how many stitches she had and the exact placement of each and every one...Shall I go on? Because I've heard every one of these stories and believe me these women DO go on and on and on and on....

4. And my personal favorite, suddenly everyone's a comedian. I'm now the butt of jokes about going to the bathroom, moodiness, beach balls, random cravings, and of course I'm now the apparent owner of a "baby brain."

Please tell me again why aren't allowed to have that drink!!??

No comments: