Friday, December 17, 2004

The check is in the dog

Remember a few posts ago when I mentioned the fear that the dog was eating the checks?

It has become so.

Ok well, not really eating them. Just ripping one. In half. It was a referral bonus because my company hired someone I told them to. I was cooking dinner and the retarded smoke detector in our hallway is incredibly sensitive and also linked to our alarm system. It persisted in going off when there was NO SMOKE. So I threw open the door to the deck to let in fresh air, even though as I mentioned there was NO SMOKE. Apparently a breeze blew in and the check floated off the counter. And while I was busy trying to pry the smoke detector from the ceiling because it was going off even though there was still NO SMOKE and the house was now a lovely 32 degrees, the dog found the check on the floor and commenced ripping.

My dog has been expensive before with his eating habit, including x-rays to the tune of about $400. I never thought though that he would cost me more than $1000 in one sitting.

I got the check away from him before actually ate part of it. And I know I really shouldn't tell him he can have a cookie when he's destroying something because he'll just learn to keep doing it that way. But please tell me what I'm to do when he's tearing up a check and not a dish towel or a piece of trash???

Today I tried to take the check to the bank. I've been dreading this because I knew they'd look at me and laugh and then I would have to spend hours on the phone with the people in my payroll department trying to explain why I let my dog treat a check like a chew toy.

The good news? The bank took the check. They said because no pieces were missing and all the numbers and everything were still legible that they would just tape it and hand process it instead of shooting it through the check machine thingy.

All I can say is that I love my bank. And I came perilously close to kissing my teller. And the dog? Well, he got his cookie didn't he?

No comments: