Thursday, July 17, 2003

It's for the birds!!!

Loyal readers may remember our strange dealings with other birds. Well, I've got a new one for the list.

I went out to my car yesterday afternoon ready to head home for the day. Sitting on the roof of my car was a fledgling swallow. On the roof of the car next to me, baby bird's parents. As I walked up to the door of my car I figured the baby bird would fly off startled and I would have no worries. WRONG. What happened was mom and dad bird decided I was out to do harm to their young and started to fly...at my head. I backed off a good twenty feet and they followed me. Backing away further they gave up and I called Andy. "What do I do? I can't get in the car? And if I could I don't want to drive off with baby still on the roof, it could fall and get hurt or run over!"

As I was talking I was edging back towards my car. No good. Mom and dad came back after. To Andy's delight I might add as I shrieked into the cell phone "They're after me!!! Ahhhh!!!" I also would like to thank my fellow employees in the parking garage who couldn't have cared less that a woman was shrieking.

Eventually, I gave up and went back into the building for 20 minutes to give the birds time to figure out how to get themselves off my car. When I came back out, baby was gone, but the parents were still hovering around. After making sure baby was no where to be found, including under the wheels of my car, I made a mad dash for it and got myself home.

I suppose it's reassuring in a way they found my car a safe place to be.

No comments: