Friday, March 05, 2004

Day of the bras

Ok I know. Sort of a weird subject. But it came up a lot yesterday.

I went for my swim yesterday and afterwards went in to the locker room to get cleaned up to go back to work. Now, this is a community pool, and a LOT of older women come here to swim. A LOT of immodest older women. I'm sorry madame, but I haven't hit that post 55, completely unabashed, walking around the locker room stark naked-stage yet. So I try to avert my eyes as much as humanly possible. Yesterday this became impossible. An older woman followed me to the back corner where I was changing (she had walked across the room from the showers naked), and she proceeded to talk to me. Now when I talk to people I tend to like to look at them, I think it's rude to stare at the floor when someone asks you a question.

Believe me, I have never been so politely rude, as when I stared straight at the floor while this woman talked to me. Everything flew out the window a few minutes later when she asked for me help fastening her bra. The poor thing just couldn't reach around and fasten those little hooks. She warned me before I helped that she'd had a mastectomy. I got her fastened in, and wished her well and headed on out to work.

Later last night, I was trying on bras (I've been needing a new one). I can't tell you how glad I was that I'm able to hook them myself, and that I could try on versions that didn't need a special pocket to insert a prosthesis. Even if I still haven't found the one that I'm looking for yet.

No comments: