Thursday, May 15, 2008

They want how much?

I went out to BJs Wholesale today to pick up some essentials, i.e., diapers, wipes, paper towels, etc. As I was walking around checking things out and then later ringing up I could not believe how much everything cost. I bought mostly store brand, name brand when it was cheaper with a couple of indulgences (I didn't really need the chocolate chip cookies from the bakery, but they are soooo yummy) and it tallied up awfully quickly.

Now, some of these things we will use for months, the paper towels and toilet paper will go a long way, but it still keeps making me think of where things are headed. With the rising cost of gas and therefore everything else, not to mention the new sudden urge for all things organic I can see us all moving backward. Back to when everyone had a victory garden in their backyards, back when there were billboards that said things like "Is this trip really necessary?", back to WWII-type rationing.

In some ways this isn't a bad thing. Healthier home-grown food will certainly help stem the growing obesity problem in America; fewer trips to save gas will help the environment. I will however miss the wider varieties of food that are currently available in the local mega-mart. I can't see that being cost effective for too much longer. Bye-bye Chilean fruit available all year round!

I'm not sure where this will all end, if things will make a turn around and start going back to "the way they were" or if we will all move into a new and better direction.

All I can say is that if we go through the 80's again, I'm so not doing the mall bangs this time.

No comments: