Saturday, December 11, 2004

Why did God invent elbows?

I've never quite been at one with my body, elbows in particular. They always seemed to go opposite directions from the way they're meant to. Or the direction I want them to. I've managed to break quite a few things with them. Including a countless number of glasses, plates, bowls, and, on one of my more fantastic days, a Waterford cut crystal vase that was given to my grandmother on her retirement from the telephone company. Yes, THE telephone company. Back before it split 9 ways to Sunday.

This morning I met a friend for breakfast coffee. I got there a little early, ordered my double latte (hey! would you really want to see the results of me on espresso??) and took it over to the condiment counter to add my sugar (yes, my loads of sugar if you recall from an earlier post). I'd just got it all fixed the way I like it, sat the cup on the table, and with famous elbows akimbo (yes, I just used the word 'akimbo')managed to strike the side of it. Lid flipped off, cup overturned, coffee splattered all over the table, the seat across from me, and the floor.

It not being one of my more fantastic days, it did manage to avoid me, my coat and the other patrons.

My friend arrived moments after the last drop of coffee was wiped away. I told her she'd already missed the morning floor show and not to expect a repeat performance.

I'm quite grateful to the staff at Mad City Coffee, for tolerating me, and providing me with a second cup of latte on the house this morning. I'm also ashamed to say that I don't think the tip I left in your jar was nearly large enough.

No comments: